Map Location – #1 (See map below)
170 Church Road, Beech Island, SC 29842
Organized Jan. 21, 1832, and dedicated September 1832 as the Beech Island Baptist Church, this two-story, Greek-Revival structure predates the Civil War. This church was constructed with an upstairs slave gallery that wrapped around three sides of the sanctuary and could accommodate from 40 to 50 slaves who accompanied their plantation owners to church services. The land, lumber, carpenters and labor to build the church were donated by several of the church’s 22 original members. In 1962, the name was changed to First Baptist Church of Beech Island.