Located on 50 acres of pine forests and 2 ponds, this old clubhouse’s main part was at least 50 years old when Ellenton-Jackson resident Eldon Risher bought it in 1957.
Map Location – #1 (See map below) 170 Church Road, Beech Island, SC 29842 Organized Jan. 21, 1832, and dedicated September 1832 as the Beech Island Baptist Church, this two-story, Greek-Revival structure predates the Civil War. This church was constructed with an upstairs slave gallery that wrapped around three sides of the sanctuary and could […]
Map Location – #3 (See map below) 181 Redcliffe Road, Beech Island, SC 29842 This four-story Greek-Revival plantation home was constructed in 1859 by Augusta, Ga., contractor William Goodrich for SC Gov. James Henry Hammond. The mansion is the centerpiece of a 400-acre country estate that was originally supported by at least three working plantations […]
Map Location – #2 (See map below) Hammond Road, Beech Island, SC 29842 Private community cemetery established by SC Gov. James Hammond in 1864 as the final resting place for him, his family, their descendants and members of the community.
Map Location – #5 (See map below) Owned by Gloria & Jenks Farmer 148 Redcliffe Road, Beech Island, SC 29842 The Farmers’ 1750 home is surrounded by a true Southern cottage garden complete with bottle tree, clothes line, smoke house and donkeys in the pasture. There’s even a grave of one of the home’s early […]